PDA

View Full Version : Datastart: packet data connection not available

Lestat
01-07-2010, 12:34 PM
Wondering if anyone can shed any light on this, I get the above warning/error when booting up the phone. The phone works perfectly other than this. It hasn't always done this so I'm thinking it must be something I've installed trying to use GPRS. I only use my WLAN router to go online and everything I've installed is set to this access point. It's a Vodafone UK spec N95 8Gb, but I'm living in Spain at the moment and it's roaming to Vodafone ES. Its not costing me anything at the minute (obviously it can't get GPRS here) but when I go back to the UK I don't want it connecting to GPRS of it's own accord and costing me money.
Any information on this would be greatly appreciated

Fw: 31.0.015

a_monib
01-13-2010, 06:42 PM
i have same proplem
any one help

StyXSIS
01-14-2010, 01:10 AM
If you want to stop it completly just go to Settings / Connection / Access Point then delete the internet connection setting. But thats if you dont ever use mobile internet !. But also remember those setting are needed if you get email to your phone. Also theres another part goto Packet data and put Packet Data Connection to When Needed that stops automatic connection.

Lestat
01-14-2010, 11:24 AM
Thanks mate.
I take it's normal for the phone to check whether packet data is available on start-up then

StyXSIS
01-14-2010, 11:51 AM
No not realy. If you change Packet Data to When Needed it shouldn't do it at all from now on when you restart your phone. If it does after changing that setting you have an app installed thats trying to connect to something.

Lestat
01-17-2010, 09:11 PM
Right finally got to the bottom of this, turns out my phone was infected with a virus called datastart.A, which runs in the background and tries to download it's mate datastart.B.
(It's listed on the NetQin website).
Thankfully my phone didn't get that far.
Managed to get rid of it by doing the following:
1. installed Best Taskman and killed the datastart process.
2. in xplore c:\, did find file datastart* and deleted the lot (freed up 5mb as a bonus)
Messy I know but this has stopped the startup error.
however it's rebooting very slowly and I'm still faffing with it, trying to avoid a format.

List of Symbian viruses (http://www.netqin.com/en/security/symbian/)