Requirements: Android 2.1+, Rooted phone
Overview: AdAway is the open source ad blocker for Android using the hosts file.
Attention: DEVICE MUST BE ROOTED FOR THIS APPLICATION
AdAway is an open source ad blocker for Android using the hosts file.
It is the open source alternative to AdFree and other Ad blockers.
• Read/Write access on system-Partition
• On some HTC devices with a 'feature' called S-ON system-Partition is not writable.
• More Information can be found in in-app Help screen.
• If you have other problems please report them in the issue tracker on http://code.google.com/p/ad-away/issues/list
Website and issue tracker:
Help translating AdAway:
You can donate money to support the development in-app with Flattr or Google Android Market
This application needs root access on your device, meaning it can do EVERYTHING.
So theoretically it makes no sense to describe the used permissions, but people requested it so here we go:
• Root access: Write hosts file to system partition
• Internet access: To download hosts files
• Modify/delete SD card contents: To export lists to sd card
• Wakelock: Daily update check in background when phone is in sleep