Leading chip maker Qualcomm is reportedly getting ready to deliver to the market a series of new smartphone chipsets, aimed at providing new levels of performance when it comes to the mainstream smartphone market. The new chipsets, included in the company's MSM7x30 family, are mainly focused on multimedia performance, it seems.
According to the company, the new MSM7x30 family of smartphone chipsets are meant to deliver increased multimedia performance, as they come with support for high-definition video recording and playback, as well as with dedicated 2D and 3D cores for enhanced graphics. The company also stated that the chipsets are expected to firstly surface on the market in handsets that would become commercially available before the end of the next year.
“Qualcomm continues to focus on enabling the best possible mobile experiences and this new family of solutions brings an unmatched feature set to the smartphone segment,” said Alex Katouzian, vice president of product management for Qualcomm CDMA Technologies. “As the demand for smartphones continues to grow, our innovative technology will enable Qualcomm's device manufacturing partners to deliver products with greater value than ever before.”
The features list of the new chipset family includes:
- 720p high-definition video encode/decode at 30 frames per second
- Integrated 2D and 3D graphics GPUs with support for OpenGL ES 2.0, and OpenVG 1.1 industry standard APIs
- Dedicated low-power audio subsystem supporting 5.1 surround
- 12-megapixel camera support
- Integrated GPS for location-based services
- Support for leading mobile operating systems, including Android, Windows Mobile, Brew Mobile Platform and Symbian
- Support for package-on-package memory for reduced board space, optimized power consumption and more responsive performance.
As many of you might already know, the company already has on the market a high-end chipset for smartphones, the so-called Snapdragon, which comes with a processor clocked in at 1GHz. It seems that one of the new chipsets comes around with the same processor as the Snapdragon QSD8x50 chipset, a market-leading Scorpion CPU. The fresh chipset family has been developed so as to offer optimal data throughput and powerful multimedia functionality. The solutions, dubbed MSM7630 and MSM7230, have multi-mode HSPA+/EV-DO Rev. B and SV-DO support and with HSPA+ network support, respectively.